Balancing the Chaos

All works right now are mainly created on plywood and on the floor.

The first five images are from the last critique during my first semester at CCAD. I discovered a mathematical design using the test strips (raw canvas) combined with different colors of dyes created from diluted acrylic paint that I was exploring.

I have continued to use that mathematical design in a larger scale with the dye. I plan out the basic design for the strips of raw canvas, this time I used dots that go in a checkered formation. I wanted to see if it would be harder to identify the mathematical design due to the dye design and the amount of colors used. There are a total of thirteen colors used in the grid. I included close ups.

By using a set design and the mathematical design, I have a sense of control, but by using the dye I am allowing chaos to happen (dyes will mix with each other and I do not strive for perfect placement for each dot), creating a balance for the two to live in harmony. As of right now the work is presented on the wall, but I am thinking about it either being on the floor or partially on the floor and wall in a slight diagonal way.

Another project I am working on was also influenced from last semester. I have taken larger pieces of raw canvas this semester, crumpled until I am satisfied and let it soak in the dye for about a day. I then take it out and keep it in its form to dry for a day. By the next day I will unravel the dyed raw canvas and let it dry for another day. By the forth day I iron to get all the creases out and let it dry again.

I am currently working on finding a clear solution to seal the raw canvas on both sides, while keeping the canvas flexible. I am wanting to be able to see the dye and raw canvas, but I want it to be archival for oil paint to be added on top. In the end, I want these to be presented at eye level in the air (not on the wall). I plan to paint on both sides of each piece.

I have attempted to double soak dye, by soaking raw canvas in a red dye and going through the whole process until it drys after the being ironed, then repeated the process, but in black dye. I did not like the results. The red dye faded, loosing its rich luster color.

(To view full images, click on them)