All works right now are mainly created on plywood and on the floor.
The first five images are from the last critique during my first semester at CCAD. I discovered a mathematical design using the test strips (raw canvas) combined with different colors of dyes created from diluted acrylic paint that I was exploring.
I have continued to use that mathematical design in a larger scale with the dye. I plan out the basic design for the strips of raw canvas, this time I used dots that go in a checkered formation. I wanted to see if it would be harder to identify the mathematical design due to the dye design and the amount of colors used. There are a total of thirteen colors used in the grid. I included close ups.
By using a set design and the mathematical design, I have a sense of control, but by using the dye I am allowing chaos to happen (dyes will mix with each other and I do not strive for perfect placement for each dot), creating a balance for the two to live in harmony. As of right now the work is presented on the wall, but I am thinking about it either being on the floor or partially on the floor and wall in a slight diagonal way.
Another project I am working on was also influenced from last semester. I have taken larger pieces of raw canvas this semester, crumpled until I am satisfied and let it soak in the dye for about a day. I then take it out and keep it in its form to dry for a day. By the next day I will unravel the dyed raw canvas and let it dry for another day. By the forth day I iron to get all the creases out and let it dry again.
I am currently working on finding a clear solution to seal the raw canvas on both sides, while keeping the canvas flexible. I am wanting to be able to see the dye and raw canvas, but I want it to be archival for oil paint to be added on top. In the end, I want these to be presented at eye level in the air (not on the wall). I plan to paint on both sides of each piece.
I have attempted to double soak dye, by soaking raw canvas in a red dye and going through the whole process until it drys after the being ironed, then repeated the process, but in black dye. I did not like the results. The red dye faded, loosing its rich luster color.
(To view full images, click on them)